Thursday, May 21, 2009

Can you get the ice, without the blood?

The answer is no, sadly.

But before we go into that, I would like to share with you a little something I've written about my writing experience:

I have always compared writing to being doused in cold water- you sit down with a pen or keyboard and (whether your work is extravagant, trash, or somewhere in between) your characters grip and drag you head-first into their world.If you love your work, you won't try to escape.Not when your bones lock from the chill, not when you're gasping for air, not even when reality begins to fade.Blood and Ice is the world you enter with your characters- the world I enter nearly everyday . . . and adore.

Well, okay, so I shortened it a bit.
But I like it the way it is. That's the bloody part (pardon my usage here, but its true). You have to be ready to "shred" your work. As an author, I make it my obsession to put 10% percent of work into writing and 110% percent into revising.

No that's not a typo- I really mean one hundred and ten percent!

Remember, anyone can write, born authors can write well, and true authors put their sole into revising, where the whole piece comes together with a semblance of what you'll see on shelves.

Still waters always run deep!

"Alex"

No comments:

Post a Comment